[Coco] Just another peek...

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Fri Oct 9 20:33:44 EDT 2015

Yes, I haven't yet investigated whether my Dell computer will reliably
transfer data that fast over its RS232 port but I'm sure there are ways
to even get the speed higher than that without Drivewire or the
CoCo3FPGA even knowing! :)

There are a lot of reasons to use Drivewire and even Gary Becker himself
told me that he has no real reason to disconnect.  But there are some
venues where a standalone system is desired.  I'm thinking more along
the lines of 'embedded' applications.  For instance, if you wanted to do
home control (lights, appliances, etc.) with the CoCo you probably
wouldn't want to have to have a PC fired up 24 hours a day for that.
Or, if you wanted to make a security system for your house, or the list
goes on...  The CoCo3 FPGA draws maybe 5 watts of power and that's
pushing it whereas a PC probably draws at least 50-100 watts I would
imagine, on average.  So leaving the DE1 on 24 hrs. a day for a year
might cost you 5 bucks a year for electricity whereas a PC might cost
ten to twenty times that.  However, for occasional use there are many
advantages to being hooked up to a PC like internet access and printing
and the like.

Dave Philipsen