[Coco] OT: MS shenanigans, XP, Win10...

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Oct 4 17:37:14 EDT 2015

Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 13:10:08 -0700
From: Wayne Campbell <asa.rand at gmail.com>

Getting a new(er) computer is my goal. At this time I have no funds for it,
but when I do I want at least a duo-core computer and I may even do away
with Windows. XP is the only version of Windows I have ever found
acceptable. Vista is a piece of junk, and 7 and 8 (from what I have seen)
are not much better. I imagine 10 is following along the same path. I am
thinking about Linux, but am so far removed from a command line that the
CoCo is all the command line I need, and I'm even going to set up Multi-Vue
when I get back to the CoCo.
<snip>
 I have no experience with MacOSXand very little with Linux, but feel that either
of them are better than Windows.
Then try Linux Mint. It will install and run with no need to use the command line. Use the Cinamon edition to get a user interface somewhat similar to XP -- enough you won't have a problem getting around. I'm running Mint on an Athlon triple and quad core computers, and I think my old HP laptop that I run Mint 9 on is an Athlon processor as well (800 MHz).

I didn't like Win7 or 8 either. Win 10 IS much better, and doesn't default to that stupid "tile" screen on startup. It's what MS promised with Win7... they always release something way too soon then let user reaction determine the fixes. I suspect that's a lot of the reason they released 10 as a free upgrade for a year.
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548