[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 155, Issue 7

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Oct 3 15:14:24 EDT 2015

You think so? I'm sorry to hear that. Especially from an IT director. Although I am sure you have plenty of others who agree with you. Some of them work for Target and Homedepot, or they did.

1) You can always do something about it, but it might be beyond the average users skill.
2) Banner ads on perfectly legitimate commercial sites can carry malware payloads.
3) Sites that were once trust worthy may not remain that way. Case in point, sourceforge.net
4) Anti virus software helps, but a good defense is a multi layer approach since any one method can and will fail.

I do agree with the comment earlier though. Running and older version of windows is ok if…
1) You use a firewall and block all incoming IP connections from the internet.
2) You block outbound internet traffic as well, or at least do not run a web browser or attempt to access email from that computer.
3) You install an anti-virus and anti-malware software and keep it as up to date as possible.
4) The user should be aware of the risks.