[Coco] OT: MS shenanigans, XP, Win10...

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Oct 3 09:50:17 EDT 2015

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:43:06 -0700
From: Wayne Campbell <asa.rand at gmail.com>
Subject was: Re: [Coco] VCC Color Computer 3 Emulator v2.0.1 - Public
    Release(finally!)

My XP Pro mini-tower is currently put away. It is SP3 and is as current as
it could be when support ended. I have run the system after support ended
with no problems. The difference for me was that I ignored MS' attempt to
get me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials when they pulled that
trick. They sent an update that "failed" and said the only fix was to
uninstall MSE and reinstall from the site. In effect, this deletes all the
definitions accumulated so far and leaves the machine vulnerable. After
about 2 weeks, and for the very first time in all my Windows history, a
update showed as being ready on the restart icon (instead of the usual shut
down icon). When I restarted, the MSE update installed and I began to see
the lack of support notices and the MSE icon remained red thereafter. All
of my definitions were still intact. I have been using a Vista laptop for
awhile now, also with MSE installed. I hate Vista! However, I cannot yet
afford an upgrade, and now that Windows 10 is out I wonder how long till
8.1 is no longer sold as 7 is now not available. Oh well. At least my XP
system is still functional when I need it.
With the cost of a Windows 8.1 or 10 upgrade ($99 or more, depending on version and media), you might want to consider a newer computer. Well, it might be newer. New Egg has a dual core 2.66 Ghz refurbished computer with 2 GB ram and 80 GB HD for $65 (plus shipping) with Windows 7. There is a free Win10 upgrade until about July 2016 (free upgrade was advertised as being free for one year). Move up to $100 and you get 4GB and twice the HD (160 GB), but about the same speed dual core processor. Depends on the manufacturer and form factor, but you can upgrade both OS and computer for the same price... assuming your current computer is a lesser machine.

Best deal might be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA42K32K8852

|   |
| HP Compaq 8000 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop PC (...Buy HP Compaq 8000 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop PC (R2/Ready for Reuse) with Intel Core2Quad at 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD and licensed Windows 7 Ho... |
|  |
| View on www.newegg.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

The last time I considered upgrading a computer I had I ended up buying a refurbished unit. After I totaled the price of a modest motherboard, processor (quad core) and memory (too many different types now!), I came out about the same price to get a refurbed HP with the same specs for processor and memory, and a bigger HD. Wasn't worth the time and effort to rebuild the old one. Plus I got Windows 7 at no extra cost -- this was a couple years ago and I was running XP. Still have XP on the old computer...
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548