[Coco] VCC Color Computer 3 Emulator v2.0.1 - Public Release (finally!)

Tom Seagrove tjseagrove at writeme.com
Fri Oct 2 18:07:53 EDT 2015

My estimate is 95% of viruses on a computer are from PEBKAC issues.  The other 10% will be blocked by antivirus, or you can do nothing about it.

On Oct 2, 2015, at 5:46 PM, Corey Bryant <coreybryant at classicpm.com> wrote:

Most of us run 98 and XP systems for emulators that are not compatible with later architecture.

The risk isn't from malware or virus activity.  Those you get by running software downloaded or visiting malicious websites and in fact you can still easily protect an old XP or 98 system with several flavors of anti-virus that still work and update on those platforms.   The risk lies in attacks on bugs, vulnerabilities and "holes" in the XP and previous operating systems.   "Exploits" as it were.  A worm would be a form of an exploit as well and worms really aren't a threat to XP boxes, as they target "popular" OSes for a reason.

Some years back the source code to XP was leaked to the public and it exposed many holes that engineers worked to patch until the very last update went out - not to mention hackers found quite a few other ways to exploit the operating system in ways that the engineers never thought of.

Regards,

Corey Bryant    [MCSET/MCITPT]
Director of Information Technology
Classic Property Management AAMC©
2415 Avenue J · Suite 100
Arlington, Texas 76006-6119
817.640.2064 x1206 | 817.441.0031 - Cell