[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Mon Nov 30 17:39:21 EST 2015

From: Arthur Flexser
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 4:12 AM

WHEW!!!!

Turns out all I needed to do was try a restart to pretty much fix
everything.  This started out badly when the Shut Down and Restart option
led to a complete shutdown with no restart that would not respond to
pressing the On switch, but pulling and reinserting the plug and pressing
the On button fixed things.

Man!!!

=====================================

Glad it worked out! Nothing like that feeling when it looks like you're
screwed, is it? ;>

I tried setting up a machine to dual boot Linux that had Win 8 on it. This
was a couple years ago and I wasn't aware that the boot process had
changed. Just to be sure I made a recovery disk though. Fired up Mint,
started the install beside Windows, and it deleted the Windows partition
and the recovery partition. No problem, I made a recovery DVD!! Oops, it
relies on the recovery partition on the HD. Now what good is a "recovery"
DVD if it won't recover you from a hard drive crash? Worthless. The
recovery process should have told me I needed to copy the partition on a
DVD/USB stick/external HD, you think? But no mention of that, so I assumed
it was copying at least a basic OS since a DVD was needed. Called the
company I bought the refurbed machine from, was referred to the refurb
company. Asked for recovery media. After a couple weeks the tech (at least
I got a direct line to a technician!) calls and says they can't send me
media, they do it all over a network and don't have media to send, and
their license from MS says they can't make it to send me either. They gave
me a return authorization and sent me a replacement machine. So I had to
pay shipping back to them, and it took a month, but I got the system
recovered...  Ran Linux under Oracle Virtual Box after that. Now I'm back
to square one -- Win 10 and VB aren't playing well together. I haven't
tried in a couple weeks, but then I loaded the latest VB update and the
latest Linux Mint (17) and tried to load from the ISO. That hung up during
install. So I tried the DVD that I'd loaded in Win 8 -- Mint 15. It did
the same thing, so I gave up. I'll probably check VB for updates
eventually and try it again. Been thinking about just putting Mint on a
USB stick and run from there when I need or want it. Not sure how slow
that will be, but will be faster than a live CD.