[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Nov 24 20:10:36 EST 2015

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 09:37:10 +1100
From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>

A colleague of mine has multiple clients and projects running in
parallel and does all his work - which is _ALL_ windows-based - within
VM's on his Apple laptop. One per project. He swears by it but I've also
seen some of the hoops he has to jump through and the juggling he needs
to do when disk space becomes a factor.

We also tried VM's quite a few years ago (WinXP days) and whilst I
acknowledge things have improved since then, it was more trouble that it
was worth at the time.
Well, the only thing I've had trouble running is Oracle's VirtualBox.  To be fair, I'm not sure if it's VB or Linux Mint, or maybe my hardware (a relatively recent HP quad core machine with 4GB of RAM). I tried the latest Mint version, and when that hung up I tried the DVD that I had on Windows 8.1.  I upgraded VB to the latest version before doing anything. With both CDs Mint hung up right after I told it to install. That was 2-3 weeks ago. I need to see if Oracle has another update and try again.
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548