[Coco] OT: Upgrade to Windows 10? -- Upgrade to Linux?

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Nov 22 16:39:58 EST 2015

On 11/22/2015 03:57 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2015 10:09:20 Francis Swygert wrote:
>
>> Gene, at this time I am trying to learn more about Linux

> The last windows I had was XP, came on an HP laptop I bought for use on
> the road. 100Gb drive, I immediately shrunk the windows partition to
> 20Gb and installed the french version that has changed hands and names
> several time in the last 15 years.  I found out that keeping the XP
> around didn't mean diddly because the XP drivers for the radio in it
> were also worthless. So next install, fedora IIRC, wiped out the windows
> partition.  Several other versions have been installed over the last 13
> years, currently running lubuntu 14.04 LTS.

>   Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
>   803-604-6548
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
I may as well chime in: I shifted this household's on-line computers to
Linux Mint 17 a couple months ago.  Both "new" machines are late XP
vintage machines.  The biggest hurdle was converting the old machine's
Outlook Express E-mail files to Mozilla's Thunderbird and transferring
those files to the "new" Linux machines and educating the new machines
to retrieve E-mail from the ISP's server.  There are several
step-by-step how-to tutorials on-line and I had no real problem
following the one I printed out.  Aside from a very few obscure Windows
only programs (Amateur Radio programing and Texas Instruments calculator
support) there have been notably few issues in the switch.  The wife's
machine has a minor hardware issue and that her reluctance to learn the
new tools have been the only real complaints I've heard.  I have had to
rebuild the church bulletin because the original fonts are not supported
in LibreOffice, but that is more of a text formatting issue, and not
really OS related.
Bruce W.