[Coco] Expanding features via FPGA’s & VCC

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Thu Nov 5 00:38:51 EST 2015

>> Mark McDougall wrote:
>> The obvious first candidate would be sprites. They're trivial to
>> implement in an FPGA.

That is cool. Interesting to know that would not be extremely difficult. Now, if scrolling and/or a blitter could be added too ... :)

>> But how do you 'standardize' them ...

One way to look at that might be the first person that releases a version of some cool new feature(s) in FPGA code, gets to be the "standard".

>> ... and who is going to write software to utilize them?

> Ed wrote:
> I have to agree that the big question is who will write software
> to take advantage of new features.

Ahh... yes that is a good question. Indeed.

Given enough free time, I know I would like to.

I would still like to write at least one CoCo game. My younger self was never organized and disciplined enough to actually finish writing one. (However, it probably isn’t going to happen anytime fast!)

I am also quite interested in learning FPGA programming. Got that to-do on the back-burner. So, I *will* be interested in getting one of your boards Ed.

James