[Coco] Supercomm fails to load on NitrOS9 lvl 2 on my CoCo 3 with 128K, and a couple of other questions?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 17:21:03 EST 2015

Dave, implementing the new CocoFPGA graphics modes for NitrOS9 would be no simple task for sure. The NOS9 drivers implement a lot mor functionality than "just" the resolution... Graphics drawing functions would have to be rewritten (line,circle, fill etc), font display would have to be reworked, all things relating to the windows would need expanding, etc. Just thinking about it makes me wonder if there would be enough room in the boot for all of it. Probably a better answer would be to redesign the drivers to support ONLY the new higher resolution. You would have multiple boots.. new and old.

Since there are sources for MultiVue and Basic09, they could be reworked as well to support the new resolution, but again... probably best to do old and new versions.

Currently, NitrOS9's graphics are 100-200 percent faster than RSDOS Basic's. The only way you could get that kind of speed in RSDOS is to write your own ML routines and ignore RSDOS.

As for VCC.... There are only 3 people on the developement team, Joe (original author), Gary, and myself. Joe disappears for weeks at the time so his "fixes" are few and far between. Gary doesn't have the time to work much on it but has made the most significant contributions, and I don't know as much as I should about "MS Visual Studio 2015 Community" to do much at all (i just got this all together to open source), and am better as a "poweruser/betatester". So as you see, not much is happening for VCC. We need some good C/C++ programmers (with free time) with DirectX knowledge to help with the project or not much will happen anytime soon.

I have the latest binary build but was waiting on one small bug fix, but haven't heard from anyone in over 4 weeks, so I'll probably release it "as is" (keyboard mode stays in "OS9" and will not go to "Basic" layout). The WinXP compatibility was fixed, so at least something was done :-)
I guess I should post a release package since I see no bug fix coming.
As for new enhancements... ain't gonna happen without help. I had over 50 people "hounding" me to get VCC to open source and not one has offered to help work on it. At least it is more stable now on newer machines.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com