[Coco] Supercomm fails to load on NitrOS9 lvl 2 on my CoCo 3 with 128K, and a couple of other questions?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 18:06:09 EST 2015

Robert (and others), first of all, no modification is needed at all to run SuperComm under NitrOS9 becker OR NitrOS9 DW.
DriveWire4 has a "builtin" modem emulation and will connect to online "telnet" BBSs and other telnet services. Under NitrOS9 dw or becker (with internet connection on the dw4 server) just type:

supercomm /n

To get to a BBS is another matter... you need to read the Supercomm manual and set the "Autodial" file to automatically connect to the BBS, so you must know the IP address and port # of the BBS. Most have it listed on their BBS website.

As with any other program that uses the dw4 "virtual ports", you must have the "scdwv", "/n", and at least "/n1" installed in the boot (or loaded).

On non-dw4/becker systems for regular modem or serial use, you just type:

supercomm /t2
(or whatever descriptor you're using for your device, i.e t1, t2, m1, m2 ect)

I have tested this in VCC using NitrOS9_becker and connected to several online telnet BBSs and I'm pretty sure it'll work in Mess with the becker port enabled version.

And yes, this was using 128k.
I have also done this with my real Coco, but only at 512k & 1meg. I can't pull my 512k expansion, but switching from 1meg to 512k is just a matter of pulling 1 power wire (clipped to pin).

If all you're trying to do is create a remote terminal (through dw4) on the server PC, then you need "scdwv" and at least "/z1" in the boot (or loaded) and from the OS9 cmd line type:

shell i=/z1&

An 80x24 terminal window will appear on the PC server.

Everyone seems to want to try to do things the hard way with DW4. If you read the dw4 wiki, you'll find most things of this nature are built into dw4. But then again, some things aren't in the wiki :-(

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com