[Coco] Midi

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue May 26 00:01:12 EDT 2015

The only MIDI "hardware" that was available for the coco was the 3 or 4 MIDI interfaces that were sold in the 80s and one by Glenside in the late 90s (and later). They were "Speech Systems (which became Rulaford Research, then MusicWare", Horizon MIDI, and Colorchestra. All 3 had hardware MIDI paks that allowed you to connect to a MIDI sythesizer.
I've never see the MIDI paks on ebay, but I don't look that often either, only about once a month or so.
For what it's worth, the Coco (1, 2, & 3) can use the bitbanger port for MIDI in RSDOS and OS9.
Also, DriveWire4 will do MIDI without any modifications. Ultimuse3 will use it under OS9 L2, and there's a DW version of Lyra (Coco 1, 2, &3) for RSDOS is available in the archives and will play through DW4 as well. With DW4, no real midi synth is needed as it uses the host computer's soundcard and software midi synth and passes all MIDI data through the DW cable.

I have a Glenside MIDI pak sitting in my MPI, but rarley use it. Most of my MIDI is piped through DW4. I only use the pak if I want to do real time midi recording from a keyboard.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com