[Coco] CoCo 1 Serial IO OP-AMP

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon May 18 01:15:37 EDT 2015

On Monday 18 May 2015 00:45:33 Josh Harper via Coco wrote:
> hi guys
> may I ask what reasons to change this chip

The 741 is almost the first operational amplifer, and it very slow, with
an open loop gain north of 100,000, which is nice, but its bandwidth is
such that this phenominal gain is down by 3db, or to half as the signal
frequencies rise, such that at the positively snails pace of 10Hz, too
low for you to hear.  The LF356-357 family has a bit less gain, but its
gain/bandwidth product is 10,000 higher than the 741.  The net effect is
that when trying to run drivewire at speeds of 57,600 baud and up, its
ability to slew the output voltage at such a rate severely limits its
output.  Figuratively speaking, the LF356 can do, at megahertz rates,
what the 741 gets done at only 2400 baud & slower.

This is a case where the good stuff was available, and its possible the
coco's original designers specced a better part, but some bean counter,
not knowing what we would be doing with it 30 years later, overrode the
engineers bill of goods because he could get the 741's 14 cents cheaper.

FWIW, nothing to our beloved CoCo's, op-amps with 100 gigabyte
gain/bandwidth products are available today for less that a fiver.  The
tech never stops getting both faster and lower power used.

> I don't know much about this chip
> thanks guys

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)