[Coco] Coco printers

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue May 12 21:40:36 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 12 May 2015 20:57:05 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Hi, Gene.  I don't know if it's important to you or not nor do I know
> who your service provider is

Shentel.

> but I have Comcast here in Illinois and
> they normally block port 25 on residential installs to prevent email
> problems.  But if you have enough patience and work your way to the
> higher levels of their customer service hierarchy you may be able to
> get the port unblocked.

I think my only port 25 usage is smtp back to the mail.wdtv.com server,
where I have a gratis lifetime account.  More spam too, but beats the
star spangled hell out of gmail, where I have 2 accounts I haven't used
in yonks.

On the principle of the thing, yes its important, but you will not hear
them say port 80 incoming is blocked, because the instant they admit to
doing it, the FCC could use that as the last straw to cancel their
common carrier status which has huge tax advantages.  And in a case or 3
I have been known to commit barritry by making that point to someone
high enough to care.

But for the hate & discontent generated by doing it, its a heck of a lot
less trouble to just fly under the radar.  Even with the web server
running and you folks touring it, and even occasionally slurping it all,
(there must be 500 Chinese according to the logs that have done that) my
peak BW so far has just barely topped 60Gb/month.  They'll start
charging me extra for 50Gb hunks at 300Gb.  Till then, or I fall over,
its a shrug.

> I explained to them that I was running a mail server and the first
> thing out of the rep's mouth was, "Oh that's against the
> rules...running a server...blah, blah, blah."  Well, I read the terms
> and found that it is only against the rules if your server is made
> available to others for a charge or for people other than those
> residing in your household.

As a Common Carrier, they legally cannot discriminate in that manner, but
that is one area where they make some $mall change, and not enough
people have yelled at the Commission to get the Commissions attention.
Most folks just think thats the way it is and write the check.

TANSTAAFL & all that.  :)

> After reasoning with them and asking for
> someone who had more authority I was finally able to get them to
> unblock port 25.  It's a shame that when we pay as much as we do for
> internet service that we can't have more control over it.
>

> Dave Philipsen

Thank you for coming back to the list Dave.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)