[Coco] Coco printers

abqpenmaster abqpenmaster at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:29:34 EDT 2015

I do have drivewire, but I'm using my 7 year old windows 7 pc right now.  I keep dreaming of getting a used laptop with a db9 per on it and installing a ssd drive and Linux to use with my Coco's and other stuff,   but haven't yet. I'll save this email,  though, for future reference.
Thanks,  Sean Russell

Albuquerque,  NM USA

Are you running drivewire? And linux on the pc? In that event, change the
printer driver to the drivewire enabled version, and that will send a
file that you "list"ed to >/p, up to the pc, where drivewire will save
the file in the directory you configure it to use.  Then on my web page,
you can dl a couple of utilities written in bash (the Bourne again
shell)  Those scripts combined with an install of inotifywait-tools,
watch that directory for the closing event when the file has been
completed.  They then grab the file, rename and move it to another
directory (and convert the EOL's to unix linefeeds) where copies of the
last 25 such files are kept, and then sent to the printer of your
choice, which you will have to edit the scripts to identify.  To the
scripts, its just another cups printer.  And cups doesn't care where it
comes from, its just text to be translated into the language the printer
speaks.

In my case, its a $110 B&W laser printer from Brother that produces text
about 100x more readable than the dmp's ever thought of, and does it at
19 pages a minute.  Cheapest, linux supported by Brother, printer on the
Office Supply printer shelves.  I can get a 10 page assembly listing off
the printer, which is sitting on the top shelf of my coco3's desk, in
less time, including the trip to the basement to get the printout in
case I am running the coco from a minicom terminal here, than it would
take a dmp-105 or even a dmp200 to do.  If at the coco's console, the
printer flicks the lights to warm up the drum about 2 seconds after I
get my prompt back from sending the listing to the printer.

Steer well clear of the ink squirters in general, their cost per
delivered page will at the end of the year, be 2x (or more) the cost of
the paper and toner for the laser printer.  And the nozzles are always
clogging, meaning a huge amount of ink is wasted in often futile attemps
the clean the nozzles from the maintenance menu's.

I am not a windows coder, don't allow it on the premises, so whether
those shell scripts could be adapted to work on a windows machine, I
don't know, but since its all just shoving electrons around, I am fairly
sure that a similar function could be made to work on a windows box.  It
would just take someone familiar with actually making that windows
machine work for you instead of against you.

My $0.02 (adjust for inflation since 1934)  ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)