[Coco] Font editor for OS9/NitrOS-9 Level 2?

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Tue May 12 15:48:31 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pierce via Coco"
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Font editor for OS9/NitrOS-9 Level 2?

> Kelly, you can remap the fonts so they don't clash with standard fonts.
> Just map them to a user group and buffer number. "Most" of the info to do
> this is in the OS9 manauls.
> I can't remember exactly how it's done.. I thinks it's two bytes in the
> header that the system uses to determine what group and buffer number to
> use. Then once loaded, you call them by GFX2(path,"FONT",group#,buffer#)
> (in Basic09).
> Some font editors give you the option to map the fonts to custom grp,buf
> numbers. But I think if you load an existing font, the font's current
> numbers are used.
> It's been so long since I've used the editors, I forget. But I used to
> load in 7 or 8 sets and swtch them in and out.

Thanks, Bill.  I used the stdfonts because I don't currently understand the
whole buffer/group thing and I wanted to see them in action.

But the editor I am using does allow you to create a new set of fonts and
set the buffers and group and what not for it. I just checked and it does
handle the pointer and pattern files as well.

I wanted some characters to indicate things like on and off and an
illuminated bulb and a de-illuminated bulb.  I was able to knock them out in
minutes with an editor.

As Robert suggested, it's time for me to hit the source and the docs to gain
an understanding of this area.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  It is much appreciated.