[Coco] Drivewire/Superdriver feature request, and questions

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu May 7 13:33:05 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 01:18:45PM -0400, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:56:05 -0400
> Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A live cd is a very good idea, no need to go to the trouble of
> > installing Linux just for this.  There may be ways still to image the
> > zip disk with Windows too, I just don't know them  (but I know Linux
> > can image anything).  dd is a common Unix utility but I don't know
> > that every Linux flavor in the world includes it.  Most live disks
> > probably do, or contain some similar tool.

<snip>

> The problem is, if his lappy is very new, EFI or more specifically
> UEFI. This is replacing BIOS and it will not allow Linux to install or
> even do a live boot because Linux doesn't not have Microsoft approved
> Certificates. He will have to get into BIOS and turn UEFI off before
> that can happen 8-/. I have a two year old Toshiba laptop and I fight
> this all the time.

That is extremely incorrect.  I have no idea what your particular
situation is, but every "normal" Linux distro solved this problem
years ago.  The technique involves having a Microsoft-signed bootloader
that loads the actual kernel.  As a member of the Technical Advisory
Board of the Linux Foundation, I am well aware of the issue and the
efforts that were taken to resolve it.

Just to repeat -- there is _no_ reason that anyone should be unable
to boot a modern Linux distribution (e.g. Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, etc)
on a UEFI laptop.  If you are having trouble doing so, then you should
seek support from your distribution of choice.

John