[Coco] Upgrade MPI?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Thu May 7 03:53:58 EDT 2015

It's not a software issue, it's HARDWARE. A non upgraded MPI on a CoCo 3 attempts to output conflicting voltage levels at the same time as the GIME chip when certain registers are read. This effectively causes a short circuit as one chip attempts to output 5V and the other chip tries to pull the line to 0V. This happens for a very short time, but if the right conditions are met, the GIME chip CAN be fried. If you care about the CoCo 3 and want it to last DO NOT use an un-upgraded MPI with a CoCo 3! It can fry the GIME. The is an upgrade you can apply that does not require a programmed pal ship, just a single 74LS10 chip and a few wires. Here is a link.

http://www.coco3.com/community/2010/05/26-3124-mpi-coco-3-upgrade-1/

DO NOT use it on the the CoCo3 without upgrading it! The 74LS10 chip is a standard part and is readily available.

FYI: I have used this upgrade on a MPI I own and in addition to working correctly on the CoCo 3, I am still able to use it on my CoCo 1 as well.