[Coco] 1 meg coco 3

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri May 1 00:55:04 EDT 2015

Josh, plug the 1-meg in first. It must be powered before the Coco comes on.
A memory check program would be needed to see if the memory is working. I don't have one in RSDOS, but I have one in OS9.

For RSDOS, there's very little you can do other than the normal 64k without special programming.

In NitrOS9 it will automatically be recognized and nitros9 will use the extra memory for more processes and more graphics screens in more windows. Vanilla O9 has to be patched to use it (just 2 small patches to ioman and grfdrv, but will react the same once patched). Contrary to what others seem to think, there's MANY more uses other than a ram disk. You can run more than one OS9 program that requires 512k. I usually have about 5 programs going in different windows, each using 64-256k each, some using graphics, and still have enough memory for a medium sized ram disk (96k) and still be able to run my c compiler which is a memory hog itself.

Those that think the 1-2 meg upgrade is just overkill or just for ram disks, don't have one. I have a one meg on my Coco 3 and run VCC in 2 megs and personally, I would be lost with just 512k now. I'm spoiled :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com