[Coco] CoCo3 MMU Register question...

Hugo Dufort hugo at seshat.ca
Mon Mar 30 15:33:51 EDT 2015

This looks like an interesting and ambitious project!

The book "Assembly language programming for the Coco3" (1987) by
Laurence Tepolt contains many reference diagrams that could help you
figure out how the MMU works and how it is connected to the other
components. You can find PDF copies of this book floating around the
Web. A word of advice though: some informations in this book are
imprecise or incomplete. You should complement the information in this
book with other reference documents such as "Color Computer 1/2/3
Hardware Programming" by Chris Lomont.

If I had a better understanding of hardware and enough time to start a
new project, I'd try to create a music/sound coprocessor for the Coco2 &
Coco3 using stock chips from the 8-bit era (e.g. the MOS 8580). There
ought to be a way of wiring a sound chip directly to the board and
communicate with it using a small range of memory addresses.

Hugo

Le 2015-03-30 14:53, Zippster a écrit :
> I have a scheme in mind, using a CPLD for address decoding, and high speed latches
> for the MMU bank registers, that would operate similarly to one set of CoCo3 MMU banks.
>
> With 8 banks (0-7), the same register locations in memory as the first instance in the CoCo3 (TR 0).
> Using each memory location ($FFA0 - $FFA7) to hold an 8-bit value for the memory block to map to (in a latch).
>
> Perhaps someone who knows about OS9 can tell me if a simplified MMU scheme like this would be
> suitable to compile OS9 to use.  This is without a second task register, and no ability to read the MMU registers.
> Those things could be implemented if necessary, but trying to keep it simple.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?  Unfortunately I don’t know squat about OS9’s memory usage.
>
> - Ed
>

>> On Mar 30, 2015, at 1:22 PM, Joe Grubbs <jsgrubbs at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wish I could help because this sounds like a great project, but I don't know enough about my Coco3 to get this information.

---