[Coco] CoCo3 MMU Register question...

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:53:49 EDT 2015

I have a scheme in mind, using a CPLD for address decoding, and high speed latches
for the MMU bank registers, that would operate similarly to one set of CoCo3 MMU banks.

With 8 banks (0-7), the same register locations in memory as the first instance in the CoCo3 (TR 0).
Using each memory location ($FFA0 - $FFA7) to hold an 8-bit value for the memory block to map to (in a latch).

Perhaps someone who knows about OS9 can tell me if a simplified MMU scheme like this would be
suitable to compile OS9 to use.  This is without a second task register, and no ability to read the MMU registers.
Those things could be implemented if necessary, but trying to keep it simple.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Unfortunately I don’t know squat about OS9’s memory usage.

- Ed