[Coco] Just a thought

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Thu Mar 26 23:07:47 EDT 2015

Interesting question... I think I got carried away in my thoughts. I have often imagined a modern day CoCo. My thoughts follow, forgive the "brevity" of the pst :-S Salvador

Designing the CoCo 2015

More than designing a CoCo 2015 specifically this exerciseis about designing a usable computer that people would buy. As Mathieumentioned if this new computer is to have a CoCo lineage one important aspectwould be for it to be backward compatible with its three predecessors. Havingsaid that and assuming this to be a done deal, on with the new.

My first question would be: Why do people buy a computer?The major classifications of users are the following:
·
B    Business – Documents, spreadsheets, databases,research, communication
·        Multimedia – Audio, video, whether usingAudacity, Movie Maker, Maya or Blender
·        Technology – CAD of all sorts, soft/hardwaredevelopment
·        Games – Halo, Pacman, you name it.

The new computer would have to excel at one or two of theabove and be able to do the rest acceptably. Usually if the computer isdesigned to handle gaming and multimedia then it can handle everything elsewith reasonable ease.

In designing a new computer I would learn from the two majorgroups (companies) providing our computers today: Apple and all Windows PCmanufacturers. Apple provides stable and robust products that perform theirfunction well, but are a closed system. Windows PCs, on the other hand, areopen systems and allow the user great flexibility in their configuration, butalso require that the user have certain technical knowledge. I would pursue aclosed system for the fabled CoCo4. I want my customers to be able to use theproduct with as little resistance as possible. I need to understand that thereare people that don’t care whether their computer has 250 GB or 2 TB ofstorage.

Items that I believe are important to people:

·        Capable of helping the consumer get his or herwork done.
·        Smooth operation of the i/o system. That is,easy to get data in and easy on the eyes.
·        Reliable and efficient.
·        Easy to use within reason.

Ease of use is a misnomer. I see it as the standard vs theautomatic transmission. An automatic transmission is easier to use, but a“stick” provides more intimate control. Any kind of activity realized on acomputer requires certain knowledge. As the activity gets more complex, so doesthe procedure to accomplish it. The best way to create a pleasant user experienceis to have a user interface that is coherent and consistent. This was a bigthing back in the 80s. There was even a standard which after 30 years I can’tremember its name.

Software. OMG software! This single item can make or breakthe product. I can have a killer machine but if people don’t provide softwarefor it my master creation will excel at being a paperweight. Convincing peopleto write software for a new computer may be the hardest aspect of bringing itto market. Software begins at the operating system, level and stops at theapplication level. Before a word processor can be developed there has to be anoperating system. What can this look like? I like simple, elegant, lean andfast. I would not expect my CoCo 2015 OS to compete with the likes of Windows,Mac OS and Linux. These systems provide a plethora of features and functions. Iwould limit my CoCo OS to handle communications, file operations and resourcemanagement. I would handle applications as OS plugins (extensions) where theuser would be allowed to create and manage content according to whateverextensions are installed.

Hardware: I divide this into two major modules: The coreelectronics and the features (peripherals). Features include networking, video and multimedia,among others. Should the computer have built in WiFi or USB 3 . What videoresolution should it have? Core electronics determine what processor will beused and the overall architecture.

In the end these choices should be driven by the question ofwhat does the customer want and how much is s/he willing to pay for it.

A question in the mind of consumers would be “Why would Iwant to buy this? After all, I can get an Apple/Windows/Linux computer and dothe same and lots more”. Perhaps this same question was asked when people firstsaw an Apple computer competing against the IBM PC and work-a-likes. Yet Applewas successful because they distinguished themselves by providing a productthat worked and allowed the customer to get his work done. An initial strugglewas also the lack of software, but this was remedied over time. In fact IBM hadthe same issue. The difference is that lots of companies rallied behind thebrand (in those days it was the “You can’t get fired for buying IBM” mentality)and produced software for it.

Nowadays there is so much tech (in hw and sw) that it isunheard of to have a new entry. But I am not discussing a new venture; I amsimply daydreaming and sharing my opinion that answers the initial questionwhile taking into account real world factors where we would want the CoCo 2015to sell and not just to 200 people:

“What would a CoCo look like today?”