[Coco] CocoSDC case pics link

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 24 09:47:33 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 24 March 2015 08:55:29 Salvador Garcia wrote:
> I found lots of pics, not sure which one's I am supposed to be looking
> at :-).
>

> Gene, I share your view regarding fb. I stayed away from fb until 2009
> when I was involved in a school project and the group put up the
> project page on fb. Oh well, there goes that. But I found that I can
> keep my privacy on fb by not filling out anything on the profile (no
> photo, no gender specification, no location, etc.) and not posting any
> personal information. So basically my fb presence is just a shell that
> I use to announce public events (robots and CoCo).
>

> fb can be insidious. The problem is that 1) Once you post anything on
> there it becomes fb property and 2) if you even dare to like anything
> fb takes note and starts posting "related" stuff on the user's home
> page. There are more, but time is short. Bad, just bad. So if there is
> *no other choice*, treat fb as a necessary evil <eg> Salvador

To me, fb's an unnecessary evil.  If I have something to share, I put it
on my web page, which is on this machine, and announce it as available
on my web page in the sig.  There, you'l find a bearded old f--t blowing
his own horn, including his political views, but no advertisements.

My cost? For a registered FQDN for 5 years at namecheap.com. $10/year
when I registered it about 18 months ago.

As far as fb owning it, remember there are copyrights. If by signing up
for fb, you have to sign a copyright transfer, it may stand up in court,
no idea if its been tested in court. But its something, and they know
it, that could cause you to lose a chance at making a few bucks.  And
I'll be damned if some casual remark I might make in an email gives an
MBA type ammo to run the patent office and thereby render any first
claims I might have moot. Its legal thievery IMO.  Yahoo tried that
several years back, claiming copyright on every message they carried
thru their servers, and for several years every msg I posted bore a
Copyright, date-of-post, my name  in the signature.

Copyright is, to me, a basic human right.  Unfortunately Disney has
subverted it with lots of campaign contributions that have turned it
from a 7 year claim with one renewal, which encouraged the talented to
keep new stuff coming because his/her income was cut off, at a point
where he/she had obtained 90% of the money that it would ever earn, has
now been perverted to lifetime + 90? years, locking good reference
material that newer stuff could be built upon away from use, and has
IMO, severely damaged America's ability to compete in the world market.

Add to that, the MBA's, whose mantra is anything you don't get caught at
is ok, that can get something made in China for 10% of what it could be
made here in a right to work state, or 5% of a union state, do not take
into consideration that in sending out the specs to some guy who was
driving a rickshaw 20 years ago, is also exporting the technology _we_
invented.  Which is why we probably ought to be teaching our kids
Chinese because the smarter Chinese are spending the huge trade surplus
with us, to buy up our real estate.  And they are very quietly buying
the big ticket, historically important to us, pieces of dirt.

But, we did it to ourselves, so the finger pointing of blame needs to be
pointed at us.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)