[Coco] Buying a Dragon from California Digital - Has anyone?

Mathieu Chouinard chouimat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:56:25 EDT 2015

Hi,
the last time I ordered something from the US,
about 140USD, they shipped it via UPS
and UPS charged me about 70CAD for
the custom brockerage fees ...
The problem is not so much the taxes my government
charges but UPS being greedy. Btw it's around 25$ (fix price)
with FedEX

Mathieu

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:38:36 Al Hartman wrote:
>> Their shipping charges are outrageous!
>>
>> Maybe you can arrange to have it shipped to someone just over the
>> border to you in the U.S., and have it trans-shipped to you via the
>> Post Office.
>>
>> My bet is that they use UPS, or Fed Ex which are much more expensive
>> than the Post Office.
>
> Then you miss-understand Canadien Customs.  Just rying to carry it across
> the border without all the paperwork and tax receipts will get you 5 to
> 10.
>
> The citizens of Canada are proveably our friends.  But their government
> is so intent on collecting what they figure is their fair share of the
> taxes , and have done it for so long that they hace amply proved that
> they are no friend, but an enemy to be dealt with.
>
> Why do I feel that way?  One piece of Norpac gear we had at the tv
> station needed repairs and they do not supply schematics, so I packed it
> and sent it back to some place not too far from the falls via UPS.
> Estimated time to repair & return 2 weeks when I tallked to them on the
> phone.  A month goes by, its not back.  I call, it was shipped 3 weeks
> prior.  Ask for trace.  3 days later its found, sitting out in the
> weather and soaking wet inside the chain link fencing outside the border
> shack at the crossing & needing several thousand dollars in sales taxes
> paid before they would release it.
>
> Lesson learned.
>
> I call cbs, who insisted we buy it in the first place and learn that
> every piece of paper that came with it originally, proveing the payment
> of the taxes and customs fees was supposed to be part of the shipment
> when it went north so it would be present and accounted for when it came
> back south.
>
> Any such stuff we ever had would have been sent to corporate in Mt.
> Vernon IL, where Shiela probably pitched it once it was on the books as
> inventory.
>
> I heatedly told CBS that it was their problem, if they wanted a CBS eye
> in the lower right corner of the screen, they could fix the "problem"
> and hung  up.
>
> A month later, it shows up via ups, still soaking wet, I poured water out
> of one corner of what was left of its box.  I unpack it & stick it in
> the oven for another 2 hours at 175F a couple times a day for a week.
> Seems dry. Put back in circuit, it didn't work till some time the next
> day, worked for about a week & quit again.  I find a fresher box, pack
> it up & mail it to CBS, saying its your problem again . That took
> another 6 weeks but since it was late into the summer, it was dry when
> it came back. And it was still working when I retired, presumably till
> June 30 2008 when the analog transmitter was  turned off at midnight for
> the last time.
>
> IMO, with all the triple and quadruplicate paperwork that is needed to
> [...]

A te quaeso, sicut in Aeneidos libro quarto Aeneas, elocutus
desiderium erigendi suum obeliscum in templo Venereo Didonis, ab ea
quaesivit, tuae domi an meae?