[Coco] 6 Chip ^809 Computer -> Kipper SBC

Joe Grubbs jsgrubbs at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 10:29:29 EDT 2015

> Yes, but this is mainly a controller/experimenter board, and wasn't intended to be a full fledged general purpose computer like the CoCo. It has many other limitations as it is, so I'd think limiting it to 7 or so add-ons wouldn't be a big problem for a minimal chip count board. If it was intended to be a general purpose computer then there are other things that it should have as well (such as video and keyboard on the main board), and the chip count would need to go up accordingly.
>

> Frank Swygert
> Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
> 803-604-6548

Yes! Thank you for also stating this. I think all of the ideas people are submitting for this SBC are great and should definitely be taken under consideration. However, this is just the first version. It was never meant to be a Color Computer. It's a super-simple bare bones single board machine with as few ICs as possible. Just happens to share the same CPU and kind of the same version of BASIC in ROM.

At this point, any new ideas or suggestions that add to the complexity or chip count should probably be reserved for a later revision. I say this for people like me who originally just wanted Grant's SBC and also for Kip's sanity. He has a lot going on with the RGB-VGA boards, the WorkPak2+, memory upgrades, etc. We need to get this first version of Kip's SBC off the ground and into the eager hands of the fans :)

Keep the ideas coming of course, but let's not delay or derail Kip's efforts