[Coco] TRS-80 Touch-Pad "hack"

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 14 19:42:50 EDT 2015

I've been playing around with a "Koala Pad" marketed as the TRS-80 Touch-Pad
for the Color Computer.

I cut out a clear notebook divider to the proper size, glued the soft
buttons from a broken calculator to the clear divider and turned the
Touch-Pad in to a series of  "switches" for lack of a more precise term.
You press one of the calculator buttons and read the X,Y coordinates from
the joystick port and you know which button was pressed and then your
program acts accordingly.

I can think of absolutely zero practical applications for this "hack" that
can't just be done by pressing keys on the keyboard.  But heck, it's another
input device so I thought I'd toss it out there.  Obviously anything you can
press gently in to the pad will work, including your finger, but the buttons
target a more precise and easily repeatable X,Y location/range and they look
kind of cool.  :)

No hardware modification are done to the Touch Pad.  This is just an
overlay.

As I was writing this post it occurred to me that there must be overlays in
existence for the Koala Pad already as the idea is rather obvious.  So I
Googled it and sure enough there are a variety of overlays for this device
already and have been available since the get go.  So my idea is 25+ years
late.. but it still looks cool with buttons and you could put a lot of
buttons on this device.