[Coco] 1mb and 2mb memory upgrades

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 09:51:03 EDT 2015

Joe, the 1 meg used the same 16 ram chips as the original 512k upgrade (actually, in addition to), not to mention the support chips and DAT board. The Coco power supply was already marginal with the 1st 512k upgrade so adding another 512k taxed the supply, so Tony Distefano added a power supply to help with the load.
When the 2 meg was developed (about 2-3 years later), technology had advanced (and chip prices went down) so that (according to Gene who has one) lower power chips (and less) were used which allow the upgrade to use the Coco's supply.
With today's technology, I'm sure it could be done from the Coco's supply as it even 2 meg (or greater) would probably use less than the original 512k. An example being Cloud9's new "Triad" 512k upgrade which uses much less power and runs much cooler (the old 1 & 2 megs definately need a fan).

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com