[Coco] Joystick alternatives

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Wed Mar 11 16:49:57 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Brant"
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Joystick alternatives

>I was looking for alternatives.  Possibly at atari to CoCo adapter. I have
> a bunch of those joysticks already.
> On Mar 11, 2015 4:30 PM, "John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com>
> wrote:

I've wired an IBM/Apple II three-button joystick to the Coco 3.  The button
on the joystick handle and one of the buttons on the base are both wired to
button one (this was the original configuration) and the second button on
the base is wired to button 2.  It works fine.  I'd tell you the name of the
device, but it is unmarked.  It is essentially a deluxe joystick with a
third button on the joystick handle.  The joystick has a DB9 serial port,
and I just created an adapter to go from the DB9 serial port to the Coco's
6-pin din joystick port thus preserving the joystick itself.  The only
problem I ran in to was that the joystick is switch selectable to choose
either IBM or Apple II configuration, rather than the wires going straight
through. So I had to sit there and play around to identify each wire.