[Coco] Minted buffer size

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Mar 5 13:27:09 EST 2015

On Thursday 05 March 2015 13:04:06 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> Yes it will.
>
> Minted has a very simple memory manager. It allocates 54K for the
> buffer.

I gathered that from a vfy of it.

> Then malloc will allocates blocks inside this buffer using
> 2bytes for size + data buffer. To get the next chunk, add the size to
> the address returned by malloc. The first bit is the used/free flag.
> malloc can allocate a maximum string of 32K. Inside the malloc, then
> it creates the string structure with pointers for previous/next row,
> length. etc.
>
> The malloc is smart enough to split  and coalesce memory chunks.

I keep hoping that someday, someone who understands editors, will write
one that uses the same memory paging techniques that MyRam does.  That
would give it a buffer of whatever memory there is to spare, in my case
about 1.7 megabytes.  ;)  But with only 24k of it, 3 of the 8192 byte
blocks, actually mapped in at any one time.

Then I could have a comment 4 lines long to describe one assembly
instruction.  Thats overkill of course, but the descriptor header above
a subroutine is too often factless.  I don't want to write a novel but
sometimes there is no halfway that is an adequate description.

Thanks Luis.

> Luis Felipe Antoniosi

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)