[Coco] Coco 2 64k - heat issue?

AQ Cerutti aqcerutti at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:29:29 EDT 2015

Hi All,
I wrote not too long ago asking some questions about how to troubleshoot my
disk controller and learned that I couldn't use it with my 16k Coco because
it didn't have extended color basic. I'm a Coco newb but think they are
pretty cool little machines and have been enjoying reading along on these
forums.

Good news, I bought a 64k Coco with extended color basic for about $40 and
my floppy interface and drive do work.

I'm noticing though that this 64k system gets very hot, much hotter than my
16k system. Taking this apart, the bulk of the heat seems to be coming from
the power supply. The power supply looks okay. I don't see any corrosion,
it's not plugged up with anything, I don't see any obvious shorts in the
wires, etc.

Can anyone confirm if these 64k Cocos run hot as in kind of hot to the
touch from the outside of the case after having been on for just a few
minutes?

Factors that may be contributing:

1) It was about a 100 degree day when I was testing this and probably about
85 in my garage.
2) Someone, trying to get rid of the yellowing on this Coco, repainted it.
They did a good job, all vents are free of paint but could this be
contributing to extra heat?

If the power supply seems to be the issue, does anyone have any suggestions
as to how to cool this little system down other than a fan? The chips
didn't seem to be excessively warm after letting sit a few minutes and
opening but the power supply still was.

Is that anything I should be worried about? If the consensus, is yes, does
anyone have a power supply from a Coco 2 that they'd be willing to sell and
should any coco 2 power supply work or would it have to be from a 64k? One
with the power cord attached might be good, I can solder a bit but would
prefer just to retack what is there.

Does this even need to be replaced or should I just use it as is?

Thanks for any information!