[Coco] NitrOS9 with Deluxe RS232 Pak

Ron ron at kdomain.org
Wed Jun 17 17:04:34 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm just just getting started with NitrOS9, but being familiar with
Linux has help considerably to navigate around the OS.

I have a Coco 3 with a MultiPak.  Slot 4 has an SDC controller and I've
mounted the NitrOS9 SDC version (nos96809l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk
<http://www.nitros9.org/latest/nos96809l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk>).
Slot 1 has a Deluxe RS232 Pak.  I've connected this pak to my PC with a
NULL modem cable.  RS232 pak seems to work fine with my PC (tested it at
9600 baud) using the RS built-in term program from DECB.

I am, however, unable to connect to the Coco (running NitrOS9) from my
PC.  Information is a bit spotty online, so I apologize in advance if
this is well documented and I just missed it.

I run the following command to initiate a shell:

shell i=/t2&

I believe this telling NitrOS9 to use the Deluxe RS232 Pak and not the
bit-banger port.  I'm unfamiliar with how to verify the proper driver is
being loaded for /t2 and unable to get the correct syntax for the xmode
command to verify what the default term settings are. I'm also thinking
there may be a way to communicate faster than 9600 baud using the Deluxe
RS232 Pak (from within NitrOS9) as well.

I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed by the power of the Coco running
NitrOS9.  It was so far ahead of it's time.

Thank you!

-Ron