[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jun 16 13:25:31 EDT 2015

Greeting, Tormod, Boisy, Aaron

Its apparent the new management at sourceforge is determined to monetize
whats there by any means.

Major projects have forked & left, starting with GIMP.

I think its about time we took some action to preserve our repository in
case it dissappears like several other have recently.

To that end, I am thinking of doing a clone on a daily basis, running 30
days deep since I have the drive space here.  IOW, what I'd have here
will be snapshots of the last 30 days, so we can backup a week or more
if we have to restore it someplace else.  The clone is a complete copy
from what I understand, each of which is capable of standalone
operation.

Github charges a monthly fee for using their services, the magnitude of
which I don't know. But we all know someone has to pay the electric
bill, buy the bandwidth and service the machines.  Basically its
TANSTAAFL folks and we may as well get used to it.

But TBT, that probably ought to be done by someone both younger than I,
and more familiar with the inner workings of hg.  Sure, my machine is
sitting here doing not a lot more than handling my email with a minimum
of interaction from me.  And I am nowhere near the bandwidth usage that
would trigger an extra charge for my current provision from Shentel.

But what happens when I fall over?  My current physical health says I do
NOT have another decade since I am 80 and have been a DM-II for 30+
years now.  And there is absolutely no one who could walk in the door
and take over for me when I am finished.

So, do we have another volunteer to host the repo, do we pass that hat
annually?

Sourceforge is going out unless they turn the direction around to be more
inline with FOSS, which they are running away from as fast as they can.

We need an insurance policy copy of the repo someplace where a simple
edit of our updating scripts can move it transparently.

What say the rest of you?  How do we handle a sourceforge lockout?  That
is what they are doing, then it shows up again as a click the link and
pay download.  Bundled with all sorts of addware and viri.  We don't
need that, and should be prepared for that day.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)