[Coco] Luis, your RGB2VGA board is terrific !!!

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 08:45:09 EDT 2015

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker wrote:

> The best way to solder the connectors to the DE-0 board is to solder them
> with the board connected. Yes, I know you shouldn't do this. But we are
> professionals, right?:-)
>
> Connect the board to both 20pin double headers. Insert the header to the
> RGB2VGA board.
>
> When everything is right, solder the edge pins with a low temperature iron
> (250F or 300F). After soldering 4 pins on each header, remove the board
> slow and carefully using a screwdriver to pry.
>
> Raise the temperature to a regular 350F and solder the rest. If you want,
> reheat the edge pins when the other pins are soldered.
>
> My second and third boards I made this way, and they fit perfectly on the
> Altera. I needed to resolder my first board do make it work.

Seconded.  I actually soldered all the pins with the units together.
Unless you are incredibly careless (or using a blowtorch) there won't be
enough heat transfer to the DE0 to cause any problems.  But there will be
enough to prevent any melting or deformation of the headers.

Remember, the DE0 is reflowed in a 600+ degree oven during manufacture.
You're not going to hurt it that easily.

Steve