[Coco] Off Topic - Creating logic circuits with magnets andwater...

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 11 00:46:52 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew" <keeper63 at cox.net>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Off Topic - Creating logic circuits with magnets
andwater...

> That's certainly interesting, and his technique seems a bit novel - but as
> we all know, fluidic computers have been done in the past; Univac had one
> back in 1965, that worked on air:
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=AiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=134
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=jSEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=118
>
> ...but I have to agree with the comment that it has a weird similarity to
> "bubble memory"!
>
> Now, if you want to read about some really weird computational substrates,
> look into something called "Liquid State Machines"; they're basically a
> specialized form of a spiking neural network. This paper, though, takes it
> one step further, implementing one as a literal bucket of water!
>
> http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~ctf20/dphil_2005/Publications/bucket.pdf
>
> It almost seems like it should be an April Fool's Day joke, but it appears
> real enough...

This guy at Stanford mentioned using the droplets as delivery packages. I'm
thinking an MRI-type magnetic source could be used to power the droplets,
and the droplets could be used as a delivery system to deliver medicine at
the cellular level. A delivery system that has the ability to utilize logic
gates and deliver medicine accordingly would be very handy. The droplets
could hopefully adapt far faster than a deviant cell could change or turn
off its receptors. Who knows, maybe in the future you'll go in with cancer,
slip in to an MRI-type tube and walk out a few hours later free of cancer
cells.

Of course what I am talking about is a whole lot of steps away from guiding
water droplets along a trace. But it is certainly a start.