[Coco] Rick Cooper - TCN

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 20:16:24 EDT 2015

I was cataloging one of my Coco bins today, and came across a letter that
made me smile.  It was from Rick Cooper, dated September 16, 1996, and sent
to his CFDM "friends".  It was a pyramid scheme.  The first line says, "If
you could invest just $100 and in 12 months get a return of $10,000, would
you do it?"  The scheme was called "TCN", which stood for "Tele-Card
Network".  Your $100 buys you a $60 international calling card with 60 units
of time.  The other $40 was for administration fees, and bought you into
TCN.  You needed to sell the idea to two other people, then "qualify for
bonuses for life".

I'm curious if others on the list remembers this letter, or actually got
involved.  If you did, how did it go for you?  His letter was accompanied by
a 6 page info sheet, with pictures of the pyramid and how it worked.  I'm
also curious if this just died out, or some legal action came out of it.

--- Steve ---