[Coco] DE-0 Nano Successfully Programmed!

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 09:11:49 EDT 2015

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015, William Mikrut wrote:

> Have you considered copper braid desolder wick?

> Was introduced to it at ITT ... It works waay better than vacuum
> desoldering.   Cleans the connection too if you're careful.

Yes, provided you can get to both sides of the board.  Unless I've
misunderstood something, Kip soldered male headers into the piggyback
board, so the plastic carrier would have to be crushed or smashed to get
it out of the way on the bottom.  That's theoretically possible, but
sometimes the force involved causes damage of its own.

There's a time and place for both methods, but I think the vacuum
desoldering rig is most appropriate for the first pass on a large number
of pins and has the highest liklihood of clearing out solder on the far
side.  Then, use some flux and fine solder-wick to clear any stubborn
remnants.