[Coco] Benchtop Power Supply Recomendations Requested

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 3 19:21:45 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tormod Volden"
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Benchtop Power Supply Recomendations Requested

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Steve Batson wrote:
>>
>> How about putting a fuse in the circuit rated at the max current you
>> would want going to whatever is being connected. This might not be
>> ideal for every situation since some damage may be done before the fuse
>> blows though. Current Limiting could be done with resistors. For some
>> quick test stuff, I'd be ok with an ATX supply, however if I was doing a
>> lot of tinkering, the power supply recommended would certainly be a good
>> bet and the price is right.
>
> Fuses are too slow compared to how fast integrated circuits will
> break, they are not very precise, and it is awkward to change fuses
> for every new current. Current limiting with resistors will alter the
> voltage as the load changes and the whole point of a stabilized power
> supply would be gone.
>
> Since the question was asked here on this list, I assume it is meant
> for powering computers and computer accessories which are relatively
> fragile devices. They can be complicated also, so you want to be able
> to trust your power supply at least.
>
> For anyone not 100% sure what they are doing, get a proper lab power
> supply and forget about the ATX PSU hacks. The original poster stated
> he was not an electronics guy. If you are clever enough to live with
> all the shortcomings of an ATX PSU and can deal with the strange
> effects that may arise (oscillations, minimum load, etc), you would
> probably not look for advice here.
>
> Regards,
> Tormod
>
> --

Yes, that is it exactly. I have a Coleco Vision power supply which provides
+12V and + and - 5V and is fine for powering most things for testing and
what not. And I have the usual overflowing boxes of wall warts for specific
power requirements.

But having a power supply that I can dial in to provide the proper voltage
and current will just make everything so much easier.

If I had more knowledge and a broader skill-set when it came to electronics
I'd probably go with the ATX power supply route, but until then, I think $60
is a pretty fair price to get all the power variables in check.