[Coco] CoCoRX

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Jun 3 14:35:04 EDT 2015

Yes, and that CAN be measured with fairly minimal hardware resources.
But, as mentioned before, it is very unlikely that a Motorola/Hitachi
6809/6309 will ever vary from what the datasheet says nor should the
hardware present in a CoCo ever cause that to vary.  If you had a 16-bit
timer that was clocked by the CPU clock and readable by software you
could make a pretty good determination of the amount of time an
instruction takes to complete.

Also, from what I've heard the 6809 FPGA core designed by John Kent is
very close but not always exactly the same as the Mot. 6809.  If you're
using the core in a design it would be fairly trivial to calculate the
cycle lengths of the different instructions if you wanted to with just
the FPGA.  I don't know if anyone has yet taken the time to do that.

Dave