[Coco] [coco]I'm wanting a video converter for my CC3

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Mon Jun 1 16:31:59 EDT 2015

  This is a long post... so if computer controlled machining and/or
using stepper motors doesn't interest you, skip trying to read all of
this.......

http://coco.thetinbox.com/CNCCoco.html
WAY too much to explain but the software is written by me in B09.
As I said earlier, my coco has eight ports. Four are 8 bit inputs and
the other four are 8 bit outputs.
These chips are using four address locations. The R/W line determines
which way I want to go. So, using one address location allows me to
either write to a latching output or read from an input chip. I use the
inputs to find the home switch and the output latches drive the power
amplifier in the box between the coco and the amplifier. Actually it's
not an amplifier, it's chips that take the 5 volt signal from the coco
and turn on or off the 12 volts that step the stepping motors.
I've been wiring stuff to cocos shortly after I got my first one. So
this is just second nature to me. The difficult part was figuring out
how to operate those stepping motors. Once I had that figured out, the
rest is easy until you have to use all this limited amount of knowledge
to operate something like this mill. Then it become WAY more complicated
if you try to use it as do most CNC milling machines operate. Many, Many
things to include in the software such as tool diameter, milling inside
or outside, starting points and several more things.
  Right now, I am attempting to rewrite the B09 code to make it modular
so I don't have to put EVERYTHING in one program.
  This project started as fun, then it became a labor of love, then it
became labor and now, it's just plain hard work, but still...it's done
with a coco which, puts enough fun in it to mix in some fun.
  It took many hours to build the machine/mill. I used a manual mill to
make many of the parts that went into it. A drill press and a lathe were
required also. Taps and dies, drill bits... lots of work. The basic
frame was made using an acetylene torch, chop saw, belt sander, arc
welder and lots of labor. This is no easy task.
  However, there are other ways to do this. Just buy one, remove the
included computer and interface a Coco.
  Write your own software and spend about a bazillion hours to do this
and viola!! you have a Coco controlled milling machine.
  Lots to brag about but, it's so danged slow, it's difficult to impress
your friends as they won't have the patience to watch it operate.
  They are usually impressed with the finished product but NOT watching
it actually work at making what they saw.
  Usually, when I actually make something with it, I close the door to
that room and go do something else, or watch TV or...take a nap. Then,
it doesn't bother me or bore me to let it do whatever it is your
imagination comes up with to make that piece.
  Right now, I'm working on engraving. That's cool stuff. I have eight
alpha characters done and 0-9 numeric completed. I tell the software how
tall I want those characters to be and it does it.
  However, I have to carefully set the depth into the material. One half
of one thousandths of an inch really makes a difference. I've found
accuracy to .0002 to be about correct. This machine is good to .00003.
  Darned accurate and not easy to build it that way. This took MANY
experiments and thought to get a lead screw to do that. I can move this
thing, either x,y or z axis that accurately but, there is VERY little
power in it, compared to a normal mill. I use teflon lead nuts where a
commercial unit will use ball nuts and screws.
  Lots to learn here!!