[Coco] Different versions of the RS-232 Pak?

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 29 18:58:23 EDT 2015

We're there two different versions of the RS-232 Pak made?

I have my original pak and none of the chips are socketed. I just picked up
another pak which has never been opened, and when I look down in to it I can
see what appears to be a socketed chip. Is this the ROM chip perhaps? If so,
can I remove that chip completely and put a clock chip in to it? I currently
have my clock chip in my Disto SC-II, but it's a real tight fit as it is
stacked with the ROM.

The difference in these two RS-232 Paks are slight. The printing is larger
on the one with the suspected socketed chip and the label on the back is in
the middle of the Pak rather than down near the cartridge connector as on
the 100% non-socketed version.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.