[Coco] Four floppy drives?

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Wed Jul 29 00:58:09 EDT 2015

On Jul 28, 2015, at 9:39 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

> But did the original Radio Shack single-sided, 35-track systems support 4 drives? And if so, did they use nonstandard drives which used pin 32 as the fourth drive select line instead of pin 6?

The TRS-80 model I supported 4 drives and uses pins 10, 12, 14, and 32 for selecting the drive. Some of the later operating systems used 32 as a side select so that 3 double sided drives were supported as an option.

Radio Shack also by default left all their drives jumpered to respond to all 4 select signals and used a system of pulling pins on the ribbon cable so that drives were given an address by which connector on the cable they plugged into.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com