[Coco] Drivewire question

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:08:42 EDT 2015

The protocol uses a full byte to designate the drive number.  AFAIK the
device descriptors in OS9 also store a full byte for this.  I believe the
stock 2 or 4 is just an arbitrary limit.  The practical limit depends on
system ram, in general I'd think more than a handful is probably not worth
it.  Honestly I never use more than 2, my main OS9 partition in /x0 and
then /x1 for mounting things I need to copy to/from.

So... You *could* have /x255 theoretically, I think, but not 0 through
255.  And that's probably OK.