[Coco] This evenings retro gaming activity

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 24 14:36:19 EDT 2015

On 24/07/2015 9:22 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 24 July 2015 04:10:50 Nick Marentes wrote:
>> On 24/07/2015 3:41 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:
>>> This evening, my younger daughter and I played all my Donkey Kong
>>> versions on my restored systems. I Found that I did not have a
>>> Donkey Kong for my Apple II. First we played Donkey Kong on my
>>> Commodore 128, in C64 mode, then Donkey Kong Jr on the same system.
>>> Then we moved on to play Donkey Kong on my Atari 800, then Donkey
>>> Kong on the TI-99/4A. Finally we played the new Donkey Kong remix on
>>> the CoCo 3. Then we finished up with a two level dungeon on Tunnels
>>> of Doom on the TI-99/4A. All in all a very enjoyable evening.  :)
>>
>> And most importantly.... which was the best version of the game you
>> played and why?
>>
>> Nick
>
> Most important was the time spent with the daughter.  What they played
> pales in importance to the time with the progeny.  That will be
> remembered long after who won the game has been forgotten.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

This is true, but let's not forget the time the programmers spent
creating each and every version of Donkey Kong that they played.

The many hours to develop the final product. Each of the programmers,
working hard, expoiting their skills and knowledge of programming.

For some, such as John Kowalski, it was a labour of love to produce the
best product he could, for free, for the enjoyment of people like Barry
and his daughter.

For the programmers, development of these games is something they too
will remember long after the game has been forgotten.

Let's give thanks to the programmers who made all these memories possible.

Nick