[Coco] 6309 port of NitrOS-9 Level 1

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 03:38:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM, Kip Koon  wrote:
> Hi Tormod, Robert, etc.
> I have an Hitachi 6309 upgraded CoCo1 F-Board version machine that I want to run NitrOS-9 6309 L1 v3.3.0 on.  When I tried to run
> make PORTS=coco1_6309 dsk
> I got the following errors.

> make[2]: *** coco1_6309: No such file or directory.  Stop.

> I looked at the level1 folder and sure enough, coco1_6309 does not exist.  I could not run hg pull and hg update to update my local repo here at Mickey D's as their ISP has shut down the internet link due to some customers doing inappropriate things.  I'll try the repo pull and update when I get home, but lately when I did, no changes were available.  I have received that message from hg pull several times over the last few months.

Yes, there is no coco1_6309 folder yet, only coco2_6309. IIRC the only
difference is the DriveWire baud rate, so if you are running from disk
you might try the precompiled coco2 disk images on your coco1.

> There are some errors in Nitros9 l2 disks such as the password file is only a symbolic link and not the actual password file contents.  The same problem exists with the errmsg file as well.  All "error nnn" command give unknown error.  Of course these two files are in the SYS folder.    Please let me know if I need to do anything.

Are you talking about Level 2 now? I don't think nitros9 even have
symbolic links, but it could be a Cygwin/toolshed issue. I googled and
found this suggestion from me to you last year:

On Cygwin, try: make dsk SOFTLINK=cp

The prebuilt disk images should not have this issue, however they are
still offline...

> I also tried running
> Make PORTS=coco2_6309 dsk
> And received the following errors.

> ERROR: Bad register 'u'
> /home/root/nitros9/level1/cmds/edit.asm:00478          pshu  u

> Am I doing something wrong?

Please use the latest LWTOOLS release 4.11 and not a development
snapshot. The latest LWTOOLS changes require the corresponding latest
changes in the nitros9 repo which was done by William a few weeks ago.
The resulting code is identical. You should always be able to rely on
released, stable versions of all tools to build nitros9, at least I
try to keep it so.

> I don't mind reading documentation files if any are available to show me how to make changes I make stick, just point me to them.  I'm assuming the mercurial docs explain this come to think of it, so I'll start looking there.  Do I need to create a branch for my own work?  I'm thinking maybe so.  I'll look for that as well.  In the meantime, I'd like to test a Coco1_6309 port of NitrOS-9 since I have such a machine.  I think I have a Coco2 6309 machine as well so I'll test the coco2_6309 port.  I think I saw that .dsk file in my last run of the NitrOS-9 Local Repo Build.  If so, I'll let you guys know the results.  Take care my friends.

For keeping your own changes I recommend using the mercurial "mq"
extension to keep a stack of local patches.

I am looking forward to hearing the results! AFAIK nobody has run the
Level 1 6309 port on real hardware yet.

Best regards,
Tormod