[Coco] Coco 2 video issues

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 09:52:56 EDT 2015

   I have a coco 2. It has been sitting for a few years. Just tried it out
   recently during a retro tech meet at work (one of the tech meets I
   started). Unfortunately it has some issues.

   First issue, the character set seems to be coming from the wrong bank.
   When it's powered on, the characters are the graphical set, instead of
   saying stuff like BASIC etc, we see graphic sprites. So it looks like
   there is a bit that's off (high bank of the ASCII set). I've reset the
   ROMS and VDG and I've also cleaned and lubed the pins on those with
   deoxit cleaner and deoxit lube. It didn't help.

   On top of that, the NTSC signal gets too weak after about 30 seconds
   and the whole thing becomes unreadable. Cocos are not my expertise, but
   it seems like I have a VDG chip going bad? Before I go and order some
   from china and wait months for it to get here, I figured I'd ask here
   if anybody has a spare one, or know a US source for them.

   Thanks,

   Francois

   --

   www.pyptug.org -  raspberry-python.blogspot.com - www.3dfuturetech.info