[Coco] VCC Status …

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Sat Jul 18 01:03:27 EDT 2015

Dave and Bill –

W/ both your posts we all have a clear picture of the status now! Thanks, for the information!

I can see both of your viewpoints – and I can sympathize w/ your concerns. Yeah... I am not a lawyer either. However, I think it’s possible to look at this from a different angle:

If Joseph Forgione said this

> now that I know somebody wants to take over on this I'll definatly make it
> open source

AND he sent a copy of the source code around the same time, then IMO that is an official “transaction” right there… he is in essence handing you control of the software right there. He is making his intent known. And as part of that intent he is also proclaiming it to be Open Source as well.

The fact that he did not get around to doing the steps necessary himself to make that happen does not matter. And since he has disappeared from the scene, legally, I believe you would be totally in the clear to complete his (last) wishes. I cannot see how that would not be the case.

I wonder if a lawyer at OSI would take a look at this (pro bono, fat chance?) and write up an official opinion on it?

Well… No problems guys, I will drop it now.