[Coco] "NEW NORMAL"

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Jul 16 08:18:06 EDT 2015

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 14:32:58 -0500
From: Zippster <zippster278 at gmail.com>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Coco] "NEW NORMAL"

That’s how markets work (for out of production stuff anyway).  The price is set by what people are willing to pay.

If you have the money, and you want something being sold in an eBay type environment, paying those high
prices is how you ensure you get what you want.  To some people $300 is not a lot of money.
I don’t think that necessarily makes them fools.

I’d be out by the time it passed $100, but that’s me, not them.

Oh well, c’est la vie...

- Ed

> On Jul 15, 2015, at 2:04 PM, camillus <camillus.b.58 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The "NEW normal"???
>
> This is just the outcome from the fact that some people are greedy in a sense that they just want something so badly, that they would pay an arm for it.
>
> I bet you that if nobody would just pay such stupid prices, you can find a coco3 on your doorstep, and they will pay you to take it.
>
> What is wrong with those people. Sadly also that most of those people that spend to much money on their coco are quickly bored and trash it or stack it on the attic where it collects dust.
>
> I would rather do without then go with this "NEW NORMAL", there is nothing "NORMAL" about it.
>
> Well I guess it is not difficult to find just one fool, that pays anything, ( probably don't know what to do with there money, because having to much), but kills it for the true hobbyist....
>
> I paid 500 euro for my coco3, and because of my move from europe to usa I had to throw it away. Luckily when I found out that the coco still lives here in the USA, I could my hands on one from a friend of mine, FOR $0000.00
>
> BTW 500 euro now is E 500 x $ 1.10 = $550
> Now some people pay's $300 and more for a 35 year old computer???  There are classic cars of 40 years old you can buy for less. Just insane this is, and it is all because fools pay's that kind of money. Maybe the word "fool" is not the right choice, I should call them the "newnormals".
>  Frank Swygert
Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
803-604-6548
As stated -- just how a free market works. As supply goes down and demand is up, prices go up. When this new collector computer market goes down as people get bored with them (or tired of the higher prices) prices will go down. I don't think supply is going to go up anytime soon, but if someone makes a clone or programs a CoCo 3 core for one of the hardware emulators available now (can't recall the name of one I've posted about before, but no CoCo code for it). So those prices may not last.

I want a few of those $400 vintage cars though. Late 70s and early 80s maybe, but not interested in too many of those! Neither are many other people, though some obviously are as prices for the more popular 60s and early 70s models are way up. I got into Ramblers partly because they were the underdog of the vintage car world, especially in 79 when I got my first (just a decent car I could afford at the time, no intention of liking the things!). As the more popular models have sky rocketed in price it's getting hard to find a reasonably priced old Rambler, at least in restorable condition (the definition of "restorable condition" has degenerated also... what would have been just a parts car 10 years ago is sometimes "restorable" now...).