[Coco] NEW NORMAL

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Wed Jul 15 23:40:56 EDT 2015

I agree with everyone that $300 for a coco 3 seems very high.  It was only a
few years ago that I picked up one on ebay for $25, and I got one that was
supposedly NIB for something like 130.  But from looking at recent price
history on ebay, I think the $300 was an anomaly; I have no idea why this
machine with this really beat-up box sold for that much.

>From my own thoughts on bidding on a lot of auctions; I have realized that
there are only 2 people who matter in setting the final price of an auction.
The person who bids the most obviously wins and makes the purchase.  But
whoever bids the 2nd most amount is the one who sets the price.  Everyone else
doesn't matter.  So seeing one of them go for this much, only means that there
are at least 2 people in the whole market (which, for ebay, is enormous) who
are willing to pay this much.

Looking at prices of other Coco 3 auctions which have sold in the past 3
months, I see:  $172.50 (w/ 3 joysticks), $150, $143, $125, $117.79, $150,
$130, $129, $44.76, $199.99 (w/ floppy, manuals, games), $99.99, $107.50,
$149.99 (w/ games), $102.50, $75, $92.51.

So $300 is still exceptional.  I would say going market price is 125-150.  If
you want to buy one and not pay too much, look for an auction that ends in the
middle of the day, and use a sniping tool to bid in the last 10-15 seconds.

Richard