[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 152, Issue 44

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Tue Jul 14 20:44:19 EDT 2015

I have had the issue with oxide residue on the drive heads as well. It will cause a squealing sound from the floppy drive, and additionally frequently damages any other disk (besides a cleaning disk) that you might insert into the effected drive until the drive heads have been cleaned. This sounds like it could be what happened to you. This typically happens after one bad disk is inserted, and after that all other disks fail to read. You can clean the drive heads with a Q tip with alcohol, or by multiple applications of a cleaning disk doused with a liberal dose of 91% or better alcohol or disk cleaning solution.