[Coco] Zaxxon - CoCo3 w/RGB

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 11 18:58:17 EDT 2015

Agree completely. Some games (on a Coco 3) can be patched, if they used PMODE 4 in a PMODE 3 style (basically treating it as a 128x192x4 color screen), by changing the mode stored at $FF22 to PMODE 3, and then changing the 4 palettes (in some cases, you can actually make the games look better than they originally looked, even on NTSC). Others used it as a PMODE 4 (256x192x2) but used odd/even pixels for color in parts, but these will show with odd artifacts around the edges of shapes designed for the 256 horizontal resolution (Donkey King, and some hi-res adventure games that drew text as if it were a 256 resolution screen are two examples).
So, you can patch some things to look just as good as NTSC (if they did a “pure” 128x192 4 color, just using the artifacting NTSC PMODE 4 color set), and others will partly work, but in some spots look worse.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net